Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Sunday 25 February 2007, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
>
>> Dale wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if someone needs to
>>> tell the programmer for portage that kwrite doesn't like those
>>> *** in there at all?  Should I file it as a bug?
>>>
>> Of course not.  If anything, it's a bug in KWrite.  Why are you
>> using KWrite anyway to look at the emerge log?  Why not use
>> something like Kuroo?  Or else qlop (from portage-utils)?
>>

> To *look* at emerge.log, one uses less. Or more. Or most.
>
> Never ever ever does one use a text editor to look at a log.
>
> However, this is almost certainly a bug in kwrite, or kwrite has been
> configured to consider .log files to be some kind of sources that needs
> fomatting with collapsible sections. In either event, usage of kwrite
> is the wrong tool for the wrong job.
>
> Dale, I think you have a teeny bit of six-year-old-with-a-hammer
> syndrome
>
> alan

It may be the wrong tool, but it has always worked before.  I tend to
use what works.  I said this in a reply somewhere before.  By the time I
get good at using a command, like the now extinct etcat, they change it
to something else with a whole different set of options.  I'm hoping
things will settle down then I can learn all this once.

Of course, if you wish to share a few commands with options and what
they do, that may help.  I'm not sure I even know what all the commands
are right now.  I got to much on my brain right now.  It is like mush.

hmmmm, I have used less for a lot for things but not files this big.  I
could wear out my page down key.  LOL  At least I don't have to look
into the emerge.log very often.  That's good.

Thanks.

Dale

--
www.myspace.com/dalek1967