On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:58:56 -0000
"Nelson, David \(ED, PAR&D\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

something like that.  I don't usually set it, but I think that's mostly
because the only time I have to specify settings myself is when the
EDID or whatever isn't working properly.  Monitors' support for this
mode-gathering stuff seems to vary inversely with it's age.  Many of
the older ones I have refuse to help X configure them at all.

> PS: Can we please try to trim the emails down a little? Quoting
> several paragraphs of settings makes for a long email ;) Cheers
++.  It's so true.

>Does this program guarantee that the settings really do work for my
>monitor or are they just generic?
I am not familiar with ddcxinfo-knoppix, but it probably lists modelines
from up to 3 different sources.  The graphics card can supply a list of
available resolutions -- that's where [EMAIL PROTECTED] came from I bet.
The monitor's refresh rates can also be used to extrapolate possible
modelines -- I don't know how to do this, but aside from this program,
there are websites that can do so for you.  Finally, the VESA standard
defines what would likely be called generic settings that are supported
by any VESA-compliant monitor and graphics card (just about all of them
you can still physically connect to new computers, nowadays). These
standard values are a good place to start, as your monitor should work
for them, and you should be able to find one ([EMAIL PROTECTED], maybe)
that your monitor supports and that looks nice and doesn't flicker too
much, and performs well on your hardware.  the Modes line is meant to
be a list of modeline names, so you may or may not need the @70 part
depending on where the modeline came from.  the X logs should list many
modelines which X  came up with after probing the hardware, and you
probably want to use a name from the desired one of these.

Have you tried looking up online and entering the refresh rates
manually?  I highly recommend doing so.

Best of luck,
   dan.