Dale wrote:
> I also went diggin in the groups file, there is a dialout group in
> there that *should* address this.  I mentioned in a early reply that
> this was likely a security thing.  Your link seems to show that it is
> that.  What I can't figure out is why no one warned us?  I only use
> Linux and only have one puter that connects to the net so if I didn't
> know to check the permissions of the modem, I could have been stuck.
> Plus, I did get that error about my UPS.  That was really helpful
> there.  It actually showed me the permissions were wrong and I noticed
> they were changed from what they used to be.
>
> I also notice there is no mention of the uucp group in the link.  It
> does mention using the group ppp but not uucp.  Anyway, I plan to
> watch those udev config updates closer next time.  They have always
> worked before but I learned that *may* not always be true.
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)
>
> --
> www.myspace.com/dalek1967

OK.  Here's my update.  I changed the config file, the 50-udev.rules
file, back to the way it was when it was updated.  I then added myself
to the uucp group and rebooted.  Well, my UPS didn't like that one bit.
So I added nut to the uucp group too.  Then I rebooted again.
Everything *appears* to be working fine.  Sorry for all the rebooting
but they are serial ports.

Why did I decide to go and do all this right now.  Here is the funny
part.  Kppp could access the modem, it could tell it to dial out, it
could connect, even get the DNS servers, but it was NOT going to send
data or accept data like it should.  It was like spitting on a four
alarm fire.  It would send some but it was just a little bit at a time.
Kopete worked fine though.  Go figure.  All that was run as a normal
user.  To test that this was permission related, I opened a root Konsole
and used wvdial to connect with.  The pages loaded like they should when
connected that way.  I knew then it was either Kppp or I still had some
lingering permission issues.  I suspected the later.

Lesson of all this, watch those udev updates.  They may work 99% of the
time but that 1% can drive you nuts.

All this because my power went out for about 2 hours.  Maybe I need a
bigger UPS.  ;-)

Thanks for all the help.

Dale

:D :D :D :D :D