Oh well...

I've been battleling with my Silicon Image PCI ATA-133 controller.
I've spent the last 7-8 hours trying to compile a working kernel with support for the extra IDE controller. But so far I've failed. I've tried several combinations (with/without support for CMD0680 - with/without xtables - on 2.6.18 and 2.6.19) - and have tracked the problem to the PCI IDE controller.

I've googled for hours as well, but I have no clues but one: Enabling support for the PCI IDE/PATA Controller apparently pushes the device names for the on-board IDE/PATA controller (e.g. /d_ev/hdd becomes /dev/hdh).

Is that even possible? That the extra PCI ATA-Controller takes precedence over the on-board Controller?

Kind Regards,
Kristian Poul Herkild

---

Output from lspci:
00:0a.0 Mass storage controller: Silicon Image, Inc. PCI0680 Ultra ATA-133 Host Controller (rev 02)

Error message on boot:
VFS: cannot open root device "hdd2" on unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel-Panic not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)