On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 23:35:25 +0200, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:

> > 1)I only see gentoo-sources-2.6.X-rY, I never see
> > gentoo-sources-2.6.X.a.b-rY .What am I installing when I install
> > gentoo-sources-2.6.x-rY?
>
> look into the changelogs ;)
> I don't use gentoo-sources, but AFAIK, the -rX releases are related to
> the vanilla .X releases.

Not necessarily, which is why you need to read the changelogs. For
example, 2.6.21-r1 may be released to fix something with 2.6.20, so when
2.6.21.1 is released, it will be in 2.6.21-r2. Bit it is reasonable to
assume that the latest -r release is based on the latest revision of the
kernel.

Note that stable has different meanings depending on whether you apply
it to the kernel or the ebuild.

--
Neil Bothwick

If this were an actual tagline, it would be funny.