On 4/13/07, Ryan Sims <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hello,
>   I heard of that using emerge --sync frequently may hert my hard-disk.

This sounds like juju.  Did your source provide numbers in support of
this conclusion, or is it just concern about hard drive thrashing?

If there is a documented causal relationship between too-often syncs
and hard drive failure, I (and probably lots of other people) would be
interested to see it.  Personally, I would be skeptical that even
daily syncs would do significant damage to a drive in good condition
(all other things being equal).

I have a setup with 3 machines, 1 with very OLD HDs. I'm behind a
firewall, so I can't use rsync protocol over the web, I download a
portage snapshot daily and use local rsync, the 2 other machines use
the one synced locally as rsync server over the lan.

Believe me, in 2 years I've seen no problem with my hard drives with a
daily sync. And the machines are all servers, so they're up pretty
much 24/7 (just reboot in case of power failure for more than 2 hours,
that's when the no-break goes off).

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil