On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 14:08:49 +0400, Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:26:23 +0400, Andrey Gerasimenko wrote:

I do not see how it is hard to create a minimal installation CD image
every time new hardware support is added into the kernel,

Then do it. Open source gives you the opportunity to make things happen
yourself instead of whining that others won't do it. The build tools are
in portage, so there's nothing stopping anyone from producing an updated
minimal install CD, as has already been posted to the forums.

Sorry, where do you see whining? Even if I say that if whatever posted to forums is good then it should go to the official Gentoo site, this would not be whining.

Once again, there should be some problem with my English. It is official Gentoo release policy to have minimal, live, and platform releases in sync. Posting a new image to forums is not that tightly related to policies. This very thread, as explained in my post, is just one reason to change the policy.

I agree that if I become a Gentoo developer and use developer mailing lists then the chances for the change are better.

or new gcc
version goes stable, or new portage version goes stable.

These are irrelevant. As long as the CD boots, recognises your core
hardware - which really comes down to disk controllers and network
interfaces - and installs a working system, the rest can be updated
post-install.

No, GCC and portage are relevant. The fact that the installation process succeeds does not help much when a new user, just after downloading the latest and greatest, has to recompile something as basic and huge as GCC or just interrupt the install getting the scary message "you better do nothing until you upgrade Portage".

A major GCC update is the exception to this rule, but that is precisely
the sort of thing that needs extensive testing on a range of platforms
rather than a rushed release.

Just in case you already deleted my post, I recommend new minimal CD release each time a new GCC version, major or not, goes stable. What extra testing does a stable version need?

--
Andrei Gerasimenko