On Monday 30 April 2007, Holla wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to install my own version of the kernel (2.6.18.3)
> which i have compiled and installed. This is working fine.

OK

> But when I try to do 'emerge system', portage is
> trying to emerge linux-headers also. How can I prevent
> it ?

Why do you want to do that?

The kernel and kernel headers are completely different things and have
nothing to do with each other, except that the headers came out of a
kernel tarball once.

The kernel source is the kernel source, it's a free-standing compilable
block of C.

The kernel-headers are there so the *user*apps*and*libs* know what
definitions of data structures to use. In very broad terms, someone
takes the .h files out of a kernel release that are known to be stable
and work well and make them available to user-space compilation. Gentoo
puts them in /usr/include/{asm,linux}. Leave them there.

Or have you been reading the stuff in /usr/src/linux/Documentation about
how you shouldn't put kernel sources in /usr/src/linux?

alan

--
Optimists say the glass is half full,
Pessimists say the glass is half empty,