On Sat, 12 May 2007 11:34:39 -0400
"Francisco Rivas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi friends, Johannes bro.. I can't give up with that, I know we can
> solve your problem, I feel it :D

Watch out, or you'll end up as a case for the Scary Devil Monastery.
I've probably already reached this point. :)

> The most important thing is try, one more try and it's enough..
>
> Uninstall the xserver, unistall the ati drivers
> check all configurations of your kernel..
> Install xserver 7.1 and 8.36.5  ati driver manually.. run aticonfig
> --initial

The Xorg-Server version 1.3 is still in the testing branch, so you
might do better with the following command:

VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx" emerge -va =x11-base/xorg-server-1.2.0-r3

Then follow the already given instructions, i.e. install the version of
the driver ATI recommends

emerge -C ati-drivers && emerge -va =x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.28.8

and then remove your xorg.conf. Not remove of course, but just rename
it to a backup file. Then go on with ati-config --initial. It could
mourn about a missing X.conf, but I think it should really make one up,
no matter if there's already one or not. Running ati-config --initial
on any unclean xorg.conf could really make a mess out of it anyways
(multiple Server/Device/Monitor entries... that can be quite a nuisance
to get rid of!).

If you need any OpenGL-stuff (quite a chance you do...) this can be
discussed later on. Let's first get it to work at all :)

Regards, Aleks

PS: that's like the standard ritual for being accepted as someone
familiar with the basics of Linux: going to xorg.conf hell... once you
get used to it, it's easy. If you experience any trouble you could as
well just post it here, so we can have a look at it.