On Tue, 22 May 2007 08:34:16 +0200
"Hemmann, Volker Armin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Dienstag, 22. Mai 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Ok,  Here goes...
> >

> > How large is the package archive for gentoo, assuming a full copy
> > of the portage tree, and all of the source tarballs in the
> > distfiles directory of the average server?

Bigger than you want to download, that 's almost guaranteed.

> > I know this would basically be equivelent to making a local mirror
> > of the distrservers, and I would have to make sure that my portage
> > tree matches up to the files actually on the hard drive. ^^  What
> > other concerns would I need to look at at this point. :P
>
> you will waste a lot of bandwidth and diskspace. The mirror might
> hate you for it. You will have lots and lots of packages like
> packageX.1.1, packageX.1.1.0, packageX.1.1.1....
Not to mention you will spend much longer waiting for everything to
download then you'd have to wait for everything do download on demand.
It would probably be more desirable for you to keep a network-shared
distfiles than mirror the servers.  Then there's the age-old 'static
hosts file' problem - just like the giant host file describing everyone
took longer to transfer than to become outdated back in the glorious
days of UNIX, it will also probably take longer to dowload all
distfiles ever than it will for those distfiles to become outdated.  In
conclusion, I think this is a rather silly idea.