On Wed, 23 May 2007 20:56:30 +0200
Alan McKinnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Well, for what it's worth,
> Your entire post seems half-assed, and I think you need to think it
> through carefully:
>
> 1. What are you *actually* trying to do? Seems like the fan is loud,
> so a) replace the fan with a different one that has
> propellers/bearing that don't make a friggin' noise, or b) clean the
> thing
Yeah, I could buy a nicer fan.  I don't want to bother with it though.
The fan is clean and well lubricated.  The heatsink is low-profile and
it requires a lot of airflow -- the fan has to spin fast and it's not
going to be silent when it's running, the case is too small and it's
a hot-running processor.
> 2. It's *diskless* machine. The whole point of swap is to entend
> virtual memory to include space on disk. If you don't have a physical
> spinning disk platter, what are you going to swap to? tmpfs?
NFS.  The whole point of swap for me is for efficient use of existing
memory.  a few megs of swap go a long way keeping the system responsive
when the ram gets well loaded.
> 3. Who told you you can't swapon to a regular file? 'man swapon' says
> otherwise
I can do so on the nfs server.  The fact that it's on NFS interferes, I
guess. The diskless says:
| swapon: swapfile has holes

> 4. It's a p4 cpu you have. Cpu throttling is what reduces cpu
> temperatures in that case, and cpufreqd accomplishes that nicely

> 5. How *exactly* are you going to resume from a loop device? AFAIK
> the kernel will unmount such mounts before suspending (but this topic
> is in a state of flux as per many recent conversations on lkml)
I recently was given a laptop with a work battery, and it doesn't
unmount anything when I suspend it to swap.   Hans-Werner Hilse explains
in his response how one might resume from a remote disk.
> I think you really need
> emerge cpufreqd
> and configure your kernel with the necessary governors etc
I have, but unless cpufreqd disagrees with cpufreq-info as far as
hardware limits:
| slim / # cpufreq-info | grep limits
|  hardware limits: 2.10 GHz - 2.40 GHz
i don't think it's going to do any good.  between 2.1 and 2.4 ghz,
there's virtually no noticable difference (in performance _or_ temp).
I just want to suspend it when it isn't doing anything so it doesn't
make any sound but only takes a few seconds to start up.

So that's kind of what I was thinking.