On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 16:01:07 -0700 (PDT)
maxim wexler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > For me,
> > | [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ cat /proc/cmdline
> > | root=/dev/sda3 video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap vga=0x031b
> >

> This doesn't work. Get dumped to a screen with the
> error message:
>
> 'You passed an undefined node number'
>
> Then a request to pick 0-9 modes or use 'scan'
>
> Choosing Scan freezes the console for about 15 secs
> after which default(?) framebuffer boots.
>
> Picking modes 7-9 leads to Unknown mode, invalid ID.
>
> Picking modes 0-6 leads to the same default(?)
> framebuffer.
>
> > See the comma?  Also, you don't need to use vga, but
> > are you sure you
> > don't want an '@' where you have a '-' ?
>
> This was the model I followed in the posting
>
> http://groups.google.ca/group/linux.gentoo.user/browse_thread/thread/114f64c0165ab4f3/2007d4aca55bd086?lnk=st&q=framebuffer+1024x768-60+fish&rnum=1&hl=en#2007d4aca55bd086
>
> BTW, some googling revealed that that my monitor has
> the following specs:
>
> EISA ID:0, Horiz Khz: 30.0-70.0; Vert Hz: 50.0-120.0
>
> Any idea how and where to incorporate this info?
>
> mw

> Never miss an email again!

That link made it a little clearer; the vesafb driver is being used by
me because to it has been added x86_64 support.  Vesafb_tng doesn't
work on 64-bit -- but if you're 32bit ,that's what you should be
using.  But have you tried commas rather than colons?  and with an @
symbol?  That's how http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/vesafb-tng/,
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_gensplash#Required_Kernel_Options, and
more list it.  the dash goes before depth, not refresh.

also, gentoo has a doc:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10

good luck.