On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 03:51:49AM +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:
> Kevin O'Gorman writes:
>
> > Can somebody help me stop and restart X?  I'm using kdm for login.
>
> /etc/init.d/xdm restart

Well, yes. But be aware of the fact that - depending on the
configuration, this *might* not work when issued inside an X session
(via an xterm or similar) or may at least lead to... undefined behaviour
;). But it is safe to issue from within a virtual terminal
([Alt][F1-F6]).

A magic key combination is [Alt][Ctrl][Backspace]. This immediately
kills the X-Session (if it is not disabled in the xorg.conf) - GDM and
KDM will then restart right away (KDM will do that forever, GDM only
about 3 times) though Slim for example wouldn't.

Regards, Aleks