***********WARNING***********
I am probably missing something, so beware.  I am sure people with
more experience will fill in the details, so don't try this till
everyone else has a chance to chime in. :P

I don't know all the details, but from what I understand basically boot
into
a live disk type environment, tar everything in a way that reserves
permissions
and all the file info, and then untar it in the new root directory.

If grub.conf will be in a new location, then make sure to make the right
Changes in grub.  If you have a separate /boot parition, then that
should
be ok, just make the right changes in grub.conf.

That SHOULD work. ^^;
Make sure not to actually delete anything until you know it works. ^_^