Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 June 2007, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
>
>> Everything has been compiled with the arts and oggvorbis flags, and I
>> did an emerge -e word to ensure everything had been compiled with the
>> actual flags.
>>
>> What am I missing?
>>

> You are not missing anything, you have something too much.
>
> Remove arts from your USE, from package.use and emerge -uND world
>
> Then start fault finding from the start all over again :-)
>
> Seriously, that utter piece of trash called arts has caused more grief
> to KDE than just about anything else ever written for the entire
> project. And you don't need it anymore - alsa now does everything arts
> ever could, and more
>
> alan

Well, wanting to be up with the times, I removed the arts USE flag and
did a emerge -uvDN world.  12 hours later the update is done.  I have no
sound where before it was working fine.  I can play a CD.  I get no
sound from anything else.  Is it possible that I NEED arts for mine to work?

Any ideas?

Dale