maxim wexler wrote:
Hi group,

I posted earlier on this subject but scored no hits.
I've been poking around on the Web for answers but so
far without luck.

When I plug the player into port and $dmesg, this
comes up:

<SNIP>

Why won't it assign a drive, like /dev/sda? It does on
another machine with virtually the same setup.

Nothing shows up in udevinfo, cat /proc/partitions.
but,

#lsusb Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04e8:9826 Samsung Electronics
Co., Ltd

and
$cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
<snip>
S: Manufacturer=NewTech Inc
S: Product=USB Mass Storage Device 2.0
<snip>

I tried making the node manually(assuming /dev/sda)

#mknod /dev/sda b 8 0

but attempts to mount the device return "/dev/sda is
not a valid block device"

What am I missing?

Maxim
In the other post you mentioned that the kernel configs of those two machines are, concerning USB settings, the same. But how about SCSI disk support? It seems to be needed for USB storage, or at least its help text in menuconfig says so... :)

Michael