On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 09:03:47 -0500, Dan Farrell wrote:

> > It's not an error really.  You are not meant to mount /boot every
> > time you boot - only when you want to change anything in it.
>
> There's nothing wrong with having it mounted, only generally there's no
> reason to access it after boot and so making it available merely
> introduces the possibility of messing it up.

And having it unmounted causes numerous threads about problems caused by
updating the kernel when /boot is not mounted. I prefer to have fstab
mount /boot ro [*], so it can't get touched accidentally, but trying to
update the kernel without remounting it gives a clear error message.

[*] On machines already set up with a separate /boot. On new installs I
don't bother with a separate /boot, there's no real advantage, so I tend
to stick with / (including /boot) swap and an LVM partition for everything
else.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Mr. Worf, scan that ship." "Aye Captain. 300 dpi?"