Hello Dirk Heinrichs,

> > [*] On machines already set up with a separate /boot. On new installs
> > I don't bother with a separate /boot, there's no real advantage, so I
> > tend to stick with / (including /boot) swap and an LVM partition for
> > everything else.
>
> What if you need to resize /?

Since /usr, /var and /opt are on LVM, I can't see / increasing
dramatically in size, and it's only 1/3 full now. The alternative would
be to use a separate /boot and mess around with initramfs images to
load / from LVM, which is extra hassle and another potential point of
failure.

> Rare case, I know, but Murphy is still alive :-)

No he's not, he died in 1990
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_A._Murphy,_Jr ;-)

> Why not put swap on LV also?

No major reason, but it means I still have swap available hen booting in
single mode without LVM. I can't see that I'd ever be so desperate for
disk space that I'd want to reduce swap. If I needed more I could always
add an LVM volume to swap. I suppose it would be tidier to put swap on LVM
too.

--
Neil Bothwick

Is it possible to be totally partial?