On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 20:00:47 +0100, Mike Williams wrote:

> On Saturday 14 July 2007 18:53:27 Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> Very interesting.  It gets further with the dolvm2 pernel option (I
>> specified udev first for good measure, as indicated in the howto, and it
>> got further.  However, it still fails to handle
>> /dev/mapper/lovesong-gentoo properly.  fsck complains about it, and I get
>> to type "shell" for a shell.  There I find that
>> /dev/mapper/lovesong-mapper does not exost (as testified by ls), but that
>> it is nonetheless mounted on / (as testified by mount).
>
> OK, that's not exactly what I expected to happen, but I guess the
> initrd/ramfs
> has the same udev setup as the full system so either the udev and
> the "proper" LVM path could be used.
> I prefer using the "proper" LVM paths, as early udevs won't create the other
> nodes and later ones may also not do so (udev is pretty stable now, so I
> realise it's highly unlikely).
>
> udev path == /dev/mapper/VG-LV
> "proper" LVM path == /dev/VG/LV
>
>> This suggests that (a) it was mounted, and (b) something else was mounted
>> over the path to /dev/mapper/lovesong-mapper afterward.  So something is
>> clearly finding /dev/lovesong/mapper, and then making it inaccessible.
>
> a and b, the initrd/ramfs is mounted as / from ram by the kernel after it's
> booted, the initrd/ramfs does it's stuff, then "pivots" the / device to the
> real_root device on the kernel command line.
> The / device you specify in fstab is never actually mounted, as to read it /
> needs to be mounted, so the kernel or initrd/ramfs does it based on the
> kernel arguements.
> As a workaround you can make checkfs not attempt an fsck on the / device. In
> fstab set the final column on the / entry to 0, it's almost certainly 1. This
> number defines the order in which devices are fsck'd, 0 means don't do
> anything.

As another workaround I could just continue using Debian etch.  I probably
have the time to get it fixed right.

>> By the way, I didn't find a /dev/VG/ directory either.
>
> No /dev/lovesong/ ? Assuming your VolumeGroup is actually called
> lovesong.

Yes, there is a /dev/lovesong, on both Debian and gentoo, and even a
/dev/lovesong/gentoo!  (confusion existed because I once installed a
Debian system that actually called its newly created volume group "VG".) So
I have changed all references to /dev/mapper/lovesong-gentoo in the
menu.lst so they say /dev/lovesong/gentoo.  I *still* get fsck complaining
about /dev/mapper/lovesong-gentoo, which still does not exits.
 Where is it getting that name?

(thinks)

AH!  From gentoo's /etc/fstab!  Will fix and report back.

-- hendrik