On Wednesday 18 July 2007, Stroller wrote:
> > It's enough to make the
> > average person's head spin (and does) - it can easily take two
> > hours for me to get a class full of reasonably bright Windows
> > techies to grasp ...
>
> You clearly have more experience than I do with teaching novices
> about Linux.
>
> You might ask them to consider - as a teaching aid - the Windows XP
> boot.ini file (I believe this is retired in Vista).

Lucky it's something we don't run into too often :-)

I eventually figured out that how boot loading works is something most
techies don't get into all that often. They understand all the various
bits in isolation but when these bits are used together by grub
it's ... different ... to normal use of the OS. Much the same as living
in Europe and driving on the left, then going to the US and trying to
drive on the right. For a few days your driving style is all fingers
and thumbs but it settles down after some practice

alan

--
Optimists say the glass is half full,
Pessimists say the glass is half empty,