On 7/22/07, Allan Gottlieb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

At Sun, 22 Jul 2007 09:27:09 +0200 Dirk Heinrichs <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Am Samstag, 21. Juli 2007 schrieb Allan Gottlieb:
>
>> echo "dev-java/blackdown-jre nsplugin" >>
>> /etc/make.profile/package.use.mask echo "dev-java/blackdown-jdk
nsplugin"
"dev-java/blackdown-java3d-bin
>> nsplugin" >> /etc/make.profile/package.use.mask
>
> No. /etc/make.profile is a softlink into the portage tree. What ever you
> change there will be overwritten when you sync the tree next time. The
> correct file is /etc/portage/package.use and the entry should be
>
> dev-java/blackdown-jdk -nsplugin
>
> And, this is only needed when you use this package. As long as it's not
> installed on your system, you don't even need to worry.

Thank you.  I was fooled by "man portage", but I should have know
better.  That is, I knew full well, but forgot, that /usr/profile is
temporary and that user changes should be make in /etc/portage.
Should I file a bug with proposed extra words for the beginning of the
"portage" man page?

thanks again,
allan

the manpage for portage has both references to /etc/make.profile/ and
/etc/portage/ (it's in the synopsis):

      /etc/
             make.globals
             make.conf(5)

      /etc/make.profile/
             deprecated
             make.defaults
             packages
             packages.build
             package.provided
             package.use
             package.use.force
             package.use.mask
             parent
             profile.bashrc
             use.force
             use.mask
             virtuals

      /etc/portage/
             bashrc
             modules
             package.keywords
             package.mask
             package.unmask
             package.use
             mirrors
             categories

      /etc/portage/profile/
             site-specific overrides of /etc/make.profile/

      /usr/portage/profiles/
             arch.list
             categories
             info_pkgs