At Mon, 23 Jul 2007 07:57:09 -0400 Mark Shields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 7/22/07, Allan Gottlieb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you.  I was fooled by "man portage", but I should have know
>> better.  That is, I knew full well, but forgot, that /usr/profile is
>> temporary and that user changes should be make in /etc/portage.
>> Should I file a bug with proposed extra words for the beginning of the
>> "portage" man page?
>> --
>>

> the manpage for portage has both references to /etc/make.profile/ and
> /etc/portage/ (it's in the synopsis):

Sure, but it doesn't remind you that changing /etc/portage is the way
to go.  Indeed if you read the description for

>       /etc/make.profile/
>              package.use.mask

(given later in the man page) it sounds like a fine way to prevent a
use flag from applying to a package.

It is correct that

>       /etc/portage/
>              package.use

is also described and also seems like a fine way to prevent (or
enable) a use flag from applying to a package.

I was asking if some words should be at the very top of the man page
stating that /etc/make.profile is the place for user changes.

allan