Fan Yang a écrit :
> Hi Xavier,
>   Thanks for your reply and the inet6 problem was successfully fixed.
> But I am still having problem to start X. As a final resort, I
> intalled both ati and xorg drivers and test which one works. After
> trying flgrx, vesa and radeon, I finally found that ati is the one I
> need to put into xorg.conf. In order to simplify trouble shooting, I
> had made xorg.conf extremely simple. As a result, I have only 800x600
> resolution :( Good for my eyes, though. The following is my xorg.conf
> and if some of you could offer some tips to get me a higher
> resolution, that would be really helpful.
>

> # File generated by xorgconfig.
> # (I removed all the comments)
> # Copyright 2004 The X.Org Foundation
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>
>         Identifier     "Simple Layout"
>         Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0
>         InputDevice    "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
>         InputDevice    "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Files"
>
>         FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
>         FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
>         FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
>         FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"
>
>         Load  "dbe"     # Double buffer extension
>         SubSection "extmod"
>                 Option      "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise
> the DGA extension
>         EndSubSection
>         Load  "freetype"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>
>         Identifier  "Keyboard1"
>         Driver      "kbd"
>         Option      "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
>         Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
>         Option      "XkbModel" "pc101"
>         Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>
>         Identifier  "Mouse1"
>         Driver      "mouse"
>         Option      "Protocol" "Auto"   # Auto detect
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
>         Option      "Emulate3Buttons"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
>         Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
>         Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
>         Option      "DPMS" "true"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]"
>         Driver "ati"  #work
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]"
>         Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]"
>         Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
>         DefaultDepth     24
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Viewport   0 0
>                 Depth     24
>         EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Thank you!

After googled a little, and as i thought earlier when i've posted my first
answer to this thread, fglrx (which stand for FireGL and Radeon Linux driver
from Wikipedia) isn't the good driver for your Ati rage...

So if you want DRI with this chip, use AIGLX and so the ati driver will work
fine (and so it is better because it's Open Source ;))...

HTH

Xavier Parizet
--
http://www.linuxant.fr