On 8/9/07, Xav' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Grant a écrit :
> > I just installed an AMD64 Athlon X2 cpu on my motherboard which was
> > previously running an AMD64 Sempron.  Now I get an error about an
> > unknown processor from the BIOS.  I can't even boot to a CD or run the
> > BIOS setup.  How can I flash the BIOS from this position?
> >
> > - Grant
>
> First what the relation with Gentoo ? So i made this thread OT...
> And so, are you sure that your M/B is compatible with Athlon X2 ?
> I think you have to make your checks before trying to flash your BIOS, despite
> of I think that this work will be very hard because to flash your BIOS need to
> run some instruction, and without a processor it will be hard !
>
> But you can try to flash it with your old processor but i don't really think
> this will help...
>
> Regards,
> Xavier Parizet
>
> --
> http://www.linuxant.fr

IIRC, as long as a CPU fits into the socket on your motherboard, it
should just work.  If it doesn't I wouldn't look to the bios for
answers, but the handling of the component.  Is it possible you may
have touched some of the contacts on the chip?  If so, your CPU may be
fried.

On the plus side, the chip might make an interesting geek accessory if
you hung it from some sort of chain.

--
Dan Cowsill