> > > But that motherboard doesn't appear here:
> > >
> > > http://www.msicomputer.com/support/TechSupport.asp
> >

> > Perhaps there's no need for an update or there's no one available
> > right now. Try contacting MSI directly. They use to be very friendly
> > (just don't mention you run Linux)
>
> I found the update I need on:
>
> http://global.msi.com.tw
>
> Now I guess I need to burn a bootable DOS CD to run the .exe file.
> Working on that....

I followed the instructions here:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Dell_Inspiron_E1405#Firmware_Upgrade_from_DELL

Here's what I did:

# emerge -u mtools syslinux
# echo 'drive a: file="/boot/freedos.img"' > /etc/mtools/mtools.conf
# echo 'mtools_lower_case=1' >> /etc/mtools/mtools.conf
# mount /boot
# cp /usr/lib/syslinux/memdisk /boot
# mcopy Afud408.exe a:
# mcopy A7270UMS.160 a:

and added this to grub.conf:

title FreeDOS
kernel /memdisk
initrd /freedos.img

I can boot into FreeDOS just fine, but when I try to run the
following, it just hangs:

AFUD408 A7270UMS.160

I can't say that I really understand the process I went through above.
 Can anyone who does understand it tell me if there could be anything
about this FreeDOS environment that is preventing the BIOS utility
from functioning?

- Grant