On 8/10/07, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello to all,
>
> I'm in need of a portable video camera(or rig), such as the
> sony SR82, but one that is gentoo friendly
> for video transfer. Hopefully I can find a video
> camera that transfers directly to a gentoo
> sytem via usb 2.0? After my experience with a Sony
> Viao Laptop, I'm not really keen on anything else
> from sony (now that I think about it).
>
> Another nice feature would be the ability to use
> the laptop screen for viewing  (while recording)
> instead of looking at that 2.7 in popout screen.
>
> A remote control (wireless or via the usb cable) from
> a gentoo linux system would be keen.
>
> Am I dreaming or has somebody seen a linux friendly
> video camera.  My target is to record video at
> football and basketball practice where my kids play.
>

> Or maybe somebody has interfaces a PTZ (pan tilt zoom)
> to a linux system and record in ntsc(pal) then later
> on convert to h.264 or such? I considering mounting
> the PTZ camera on a pole, so I can sit in the shade
> or a camper and record video, gentoo studio style...
> (beginning to sound like a project). Maybe use a logitech
> joystick to map all of the camera functions and use
> a laptop for recording (under the shade)....

Zoneminder leaps to mind, but it's more geared toward being the
recording/viewing center for a separate camera.  PTZ cameras tend not
to be camcorders too, but there are several ip-addressable ones (so
one assumes you could wire up the camera to a wireless hub and take
your laptop elsewhere).  See www-misc/zoneminder or the website at
www.zoneminder.com.  Compatible cameras are listed in their wiki.