James wrote:
Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:

If I wanted to use CF or SD cards in these old system, is there
an inexpenive interface converter (say CF to ide) that is
redily available?

Yes, I bought one from http://linitx.com and use it in my MythTV
frontend.

OK,

I found some for $4.00 usd, so I'm going to give this a whirl. The
HD are what (mostly) fails on these these vintage 586 firewall
I build for friends, so CF seems the way to go...

thx

James

IIRC, there's a problem with wearing out CF cards after prolonged use (1E6 writes or so). Whether that's better or worse than the average failure rate of a hard drive for this particular scenario is for you to decide - just a reminder of the limitations of flash memory as disks.