Hello Tim,

> IIRC, there's a problem with wearing out CF cards after prolonged use
> (1E6 writes or so). Whether that's better or worse than the average
> failure rate of a hard drive for this particular scenario is for you to
> decide - just a reminder of the limitations of flash memory as disks.

That is a risk if you use the CF like a hard disc. I use it like a CD,
using a variant of this method outlined on the forums
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-244837.html

There are no writes to the CF, although for a firewall you'd need
somewhere to send logfiles, either save them to an nfs/cifs mounted drive
or use logrotate to mail them out every day.

--
Neil Bothwick

The dark ages were caused by the Y1K problem.