Hi,

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 19:38:18 +0000 (UTC) Mateus Interciso
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, basically, I want to share the internet using a Bridge on a pc
> with two NICS, one for internet, the other for Internal Network.

Uhm, yeah, I'd like a bridge to the internet, too. To bad the internet
is a routed infrastructure and that's technically impossible.

But you mixed up a lot of concepts and terms, so I'd suggest reading a
book about how it all fits together some day.

> Now, I know a easiest approuch would be to use NAT, which is how I'm
> doing now, but since I really need Level 2 Routing, I can't afford
> doing this with nat.
> [...]
> Now comes the tricky part, since the internet I recieve is via DHCP,
> and on eth1, if I make: dhcpcd eth1, it timesout, but if I use
> dhclient eth1, it works, almost, I can get an IP at least, so I've
> sticked with this

Hm. And what's the bridge supposed to do then? I would agree that using
the bridge, other computers should be able to get IPs assigned using
DHCP (as long as your ISP is issuing IPs for those computers). But that
has nothing to do with the bridge and whether the bridging computer is
able to get an IP assigned. Somehow I have the feeling that your ISP
wouldn't ever issue more than one IP, but since you're that sure...

> 11)dhclient eth1

is unnecessary, except if the bridging PC should have connectivity, too.

> 12)ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

is unnecessary, except for internal LAN connectivity.

> Now, you would have to excuse me, because I really don't remember if
> that worked, but I think it didn't, what I made (that at least didn't
> put the whole network down), was all of this, but on step 10 forward:
> 10)ifconfig br0 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

Hm, that would for sure collide with the step 12 mentioned above.

> And by this, I can actually browse the internal network, but not the
> internet, in none of the machines, neither the bridge, with/without a
> iptables firewall enabled.

You have to use DHCP on all the machines that should have Internet
connectivity. Remember that you have just bridged your ISP link to your
LAN, and so now have level-2 access up to your ISP on all the LANs
computers.

> Can anyone please help me?

In fact, I don't think answering your questions help a lot since I
really doubt your approach makes sense. In order to find that out,
please just tell a bit about your Internet Connection. What you are
trying to archieve only makes sense under the following circumstances:
- your ISP only provides one physical link,
- but the possibility to get more than one IP issued (either fixed, or
DHCP, from what you told, the latter)
- what basically means that there is _no_ point-to-point link involved.
- for whatever reason you don't want to use a switch (which I would
understand for firewalling issues to keep the ISP from getting your
internal traffic running through their machines).

All of that is perfectly fine, I use such a setup for my virtual
servers, for example (although there that internal LAN is just a
software emulation).

So please describe your internet connection and we can tell if your
plan is flawed from the beginning. I'd somehow bet a beer on that.

-hwh