On Wednesday 15 August 2007 13:53, Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 12:06:50 -0400
>
> "Matthew R. Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I'm using udev-104-r13
>
> Hm, but udev doesn't do the mount, does it? I would really be
> interested whether there is a fstab entry (and what it is) and what
> mount command you use, if any. Some software actually must be
> responsible for the mount, right?

fstab doesn't mention /dev/sdb1
normally I just plug the pendrive in, the icon pops up in media:/ in
konqueror, I click on it and do what I need to do

> The output you have cited was from the kernel log and it looks as if
>
> > > Said pendrive worked fine prior to being inserted into the vista laptop
> > > I recently compiled a new kernel 2.6.22-gentoo-r2 with all the same
> > > support for file systems as the previous kernel, with the exception
> > > that I compiled in support for ntfs.
>
> So I guess the stick, or at least the card, is not NTFS but FAT (since
> it worked before), right?
Correct it is, was, FAT

> What would be interesting is the output of "file -s /dev/sdb1". It
> should print some details about the partition (you need to run it as
> root).

/dev/sdb1: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x3c, OEM-ID "MSDOS5.0",
sectors/cluster 16, root entries 512, Media descriptor 0xf8, sectors/FAT 248,
heads 255, hidden sectors 32, sectors 1015776 (volumes > 32 MB) , serial
number 0xb465569d, unlabeled, FAT (16 bit)

> > I've just checked the kernel config and all the NLS support is compiled
> > in
>
> Do you have automatic module loading enabled? Otherwise you might need
> to probe the NLS module for cp437 manually before mounting (I really
> think it is just a warning in the kernel log, but I'm not sure --
> especially, if you have autofs in the action, which it also looks like,
> since the probing of all the file systems). Try "modprobe nls_cp437".

I do have automatic module loading enabled
All the file system stuff including NLS is compiled into the kernel, not as
modules.

modprobe mls_cp437 returns
FATAL: Module nls cp437 not found

--