On 29 Aug 2007, at 18:59, James wrote:
 So, I have decided to purchase an external (firewire)
DVD burner that is known to be support by (gentoo) linux....

Any recommendations?

Hi there,

I think you'll find that pretty much all the firewire enclosures use the same chipset(s), (Oxford?) and that they're detected when you plug them in & assigned a wossisname, such as /dev/sda or /dev/sdb or whatever. This is certainly been the case with all the USB / firewire hard-drive adaptors I've used; I can't say I've used my firewire writer under Linux but I'm sure it'll work the same.

Just stick any DVD writer of your choice in:
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817113016>
I think you'll find this at least 20% cheaper than buying any prepackaged external writer.

Also, I have a series of files as a result of starting and
stopping a sony video camera at football games:
file M2U00001.MPG
M2U00001.MPG: MPEG sequence, v2, program multiplex

So looking around I cannot seem to be able to find out
how you combine these short mpg video files  into
'chapters' or such like the sequential files you see
in a DVD scene menu.

I don't know much about this, but I think you'll prolly want to look at media-video/dvdauthor and maybe media-video/dvdstyler.

Stroller.