On Freitag, 31. August 2007, Arnau Bria wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 23:51:44 +0200
>
> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > On Donnerstag, 30. August 2007, Arnau Bria wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > > 2.-) make oldconfig
> > > 3.-) make all && make modules_install
> >
> > make all modules_install install
>
> from make help:
>
> [...]
> Other generic targets:
>   all             - Build all targets marked with [*]
> * vmlinux         - Build the bare kernel
> * modules         - Build all modules
> [...]

> Execute "make" or "make all" to build all targets marked with [*]

> so make all && make modules install should be enough.

read again. it is modules_install not modules. modules_install to install the
modules, install to copy the kernel, System.map and config to /boot and
create the symlinks.

and you don't have to do 'make blabla&& make blub' you can do 'make blabla
blub blib'.

> > > 4.-) mkinitrd initrm.2.6.21 2.6.21-gentoo-r4
> >
> > why not compile everything needed for boot into the kernel? you could
> > skip this step?.
>
> Cause I tried so, but my kernels did not work... don't really know why,
> so I'm trying to look for the reason, so I wanted to start step by
> step, first compiling one using genkernel's ocnfig, and then, start
> removing options and including things to kernel.

well, that obviously has not worked. Google for Greg Kroah Hartmann, go to his
site, download his kernel guide. It is a book about building kernels - it
should help you a lot.

> > I don't know - but I know that genkernel's config sucks.
>
> I don't agree. I has lots of unused options that many people don't use,
> right, but I can ensure that this "genric" kernel's runs in many diff hw
> configs, so I does what it's supposed to.

I have seen horrible, horrible kernels created by it. I have a very nice
working config - genkernel couldn't do it any better. And as a bonus - I
don't need an initrd or related cr*p (yes, I don't like them).