070904 Matthias Fechner wrote:
> I updated Bash-3.2_p17 and the computer stalled while installing it
> so I was not able to reboot my PC.
> I rebooted from a rescue system and copied Bash from there.
> Now I can boot my system again.
> Now I try to reinstall bash again but I get the following error message:
> -- snip --
>   ./lib/readline/libhistory.a: could not read symbols: Archive has no
>   index; run ranlib to add one
> -- snip --
> What can I do to reinstall the bash again?

The first thing to try what it says: run Ranlib.
However, it's not clear which library you need to run it on:
my system has no dir  /lib/readline ;
the Readline pkg installs  /usr/lib/libhistory.a , which is present.
So you could try 'ranlib /usr/lib/libhistory.a'
or you could try remerging the Readline pkg, which mb damaged in some way.
I emerged this version of Bash 070728 without any problem.
My Readline version is 5.2_p4 (070701): do you need to upgrade yours ?
Have you looked for similar problems in the Forum ?

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : [EMAIL PROTECTED]