Colleen Beamer wrote:
> 5)  I did the step:
>
> zcat /proc/config.gz > /usr/share/genkernel/x86/kernel-conf-2.6

This grabs the configuration from the running kernel (the one from
the CD you booted from), not the configuration you may have had
earlier on the system you chrooted into.  Did you tweak that earlier
configuration?  Do you have a backup of that config somewhere?

> The ran 'genkernel --menuconfig all'

Does this also install the kernel onto the /boot partition?  (Just
asking, as I don't know genkernel.)  Are name and version numbers
in /boot/grub/menu.lst exactly the same as the kernel and initrd
stored in /boot?

> Output from e2fsck for /dev/sda3 is:

It said "/dev/sda3 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced"?  If you
run the same command again, is /dev/sda3 now clean?

> Although the fstab and grub.conf are exactly what they were
> before hitting that damned "Media Direct" button.

But since then a new kernel source tree might have been installed,
which you might not have compiled and installed yet.  So the
version numbers may have changed.

Benno