Colleen Beamer wrote:
> Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> > Colleen Beamer wrote:
> >> zcat /proc/config.gz >
> >> /usr/share/genkernel/x86/kernel-conf-2.6
> >
> > This grabs the configuration from the running kernel (the one
> > from the CD you booted from), not the configuration you may
> > have had earlier on the system you chrooted into.
>
> I doubt that it grabs the kernel running from the CD,

It does.  You did 'mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc' before
chrooting, which gives you the proc of the running kernel.

But it matters not.  The zcat command just saves a default config,
in case no kernel was ever configured yet.  Your previous runs of
genkernel saved the config to /etc/kernels/, and that config gets
automatically reused when it exists.  So the config should be okay,
_if it was always _that kernel that you booted, and not just the
kernel that you _thought you booted.

It might be worth trying to overwrite your custom config
in /etc/kernels/ (after copying it to a safe place) with the
contents of /usr/share/genkernel/x86/kernel-conf-2.6, recompiling
and reinstalling the kernel, and trying to boot with that.

Anyway, googling around seems to say that the following error is
definitely some kernel configuration problem:

> Block dev sda3 is not a valid root device
> The root block device is unspecified or not detected.

Maybe use also --udev as an option to genkernel?

Benno