On 9/12/07, Dan Farrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:36:56 -0700
> "Mark Knecht" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > libtool: link: cannot find the library `/usr/lib/libgnomevfs-2.la' or
> > unhandled argument `/usr/lib/libgnomevfs-2.la'
>
> looks like your libraries are a little off.  Have you tried
> revdep-rebuild?

In an attempt to keep the conversation compact I'll answer the 3

Sorry. I should have started that a number of the failures have come
while doing revdep-rebuild. One seemingly large problem is that
revdep-rebuild wants to rebuild packages that are no longer in portage
so you have to remove those from the rebuild or attempt to change
revision numbers by hand on the fly in the long command that
revdep-rebuild -p creates. That's been a mess and not the way I know
the portage developers want me to maintain the system.

(Although we will all do what we have to do at times....)

With packages seemingly failing left and right I've proceeded on with
emerge --resume --skip-first command to attempt the get everything
built that I can get built but that's not really right either.

To Danilo - I'll look into emerging only gnome and see what happens
there. Thanks.

To Bo:

Sector9 ~ # ls -l /usr/lib/libgnomevfs-2.la
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1122 Sep 12 16:55 /usr/lib/libgnomevfs-2.la
Sector9 ~ #

Sector9 ~ # equery check gnome-vfs
[ Checking gnome-base/gnome-vfs-2.18.1 ]
 * 381 out of 381 files good
Sector9 ~ #

I did not know about equery check. Thanks!

This latest emerge pass seems to be working better. I did have to skip
a couple of packages though. I'll go back and see if I can catch them
with revdep-rebuild when it hopefully finishes up in the next hour.

Thanks for the ideas all.

Cheers,
Mark