On 9/12/07, Dan Farrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 18:06:21 -0700
> "Mark Knecht" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > One seemingly large problem is that
> > revdep-rebuild wants to rebuild packages that are no longer in portage
> > so you have to remove those from the rebuild or attempt to change
> > revision numbers by hand on the fly in the long command that
> > revdep-rebuild -p creates.
>
> That is very annoying, I agree.  Just about the only truly negative
> thing i have to say about gentoo is that if you wait too long to
> update, you're in a bad spot by the time you get around to it.

This is very true. I have time and time again run into issues that
don't fit the maintainer's point of view which is typically a single
PC. I run a small network of MythTV machines here in the house.
Unfortunately with Myth you cannot update the server (in general)
without updating the frontend machines. For me that means updating 6
machines in parallel which is a significant time sync.

Add to that things like dropping support for certain kernels, certain
ati-drivers packages, etc., and you can find yourself in trouble.

On the other hand, Gentoo does work and it's far and away the most
stable brand of Linux I've ever run. Add to that great overlay support
for the pro-audio stuff I'm involved with and I don't think there are
many alternatives. That said I think most of my home would be better
off with something like Ubuntu or Suse but I haven't the inclination
to learn it.

Anyway, thanks for your inputs.

Cheers,
Mark