On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:37:01 +0100
Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That's almost exactly what I do, except I run an rsync mirror, so each
> machine syncs fro it.

That works OK, but then all the subordinate computers have to run a
sync.  If you use nfs, it's a little slower access for the subordinates
to get the ebuild info and the dist files (not much!) but their portage
trees are automatically synced up when the server syncs, and
additionally, you can share distfiles downloads between computers (the
real benefit in my mind).

the only tricky part is that you need two mounts; a read-only for
portage tree itself, and a r/w for distfiles so that other computers
can download new software packages if they arent' already on the server.