On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 22:16:34 +0100
Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You get a speed hit every time you run emerge, I get it once, where
> the computer syncs, which is handled by a cron task anyway.

It's true, it's a little slower for me and a few gigs more wasted space
(depending on the number of computers) for you.  A fair trade-off,
either way.
> It also means I can speed up portage further by using ext2 on a
> sparse file

FWIW, I can do this on the server.  Or I can use a Reiser partition
with a small (1024) block size.

just out of curiosity, would you be interested in running a benchmark
to see how my reiser partition (it would be on the server, local)
compared to your sparsefiled ext2?