> >   Do I
> > need to start this thing over?
>
> yes. No tool can tell you for certain, that no malware is rampage on your
> system. netstat, ps, emerge might be hacked already. As might be md5sum and
> other tools to generate and compare ckecksums. There is only one way to make
> sure your system is clean:
>
> reinstallation

Although I haven't found any evidence of intrusion, I've been urged
off-list to reinstall and since I'm about 4 hours early to rise this
morning I think I better.

Can we go over a good plan for the transition?  My main concerns are
backing up the right files and a good remote installation procedure as
it's been years since I did that.  Thanks.

- Grant