On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 19:45:47 -0400
"John Blinka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> I have 2 gentoo machines, lotus and tobey.   tobey is an nfs server to
> lotus.
> Today I upgraded tobey, and now nfs doesn't work.  Previously, it
> worked for years.  The symptoms are:
>
> 1)  mount -v /mnt/tobey on lotus returns
>      mount: RPC: Program not registered
>
> 2)  /etc/init.d/nfs start on tobey produces no output, no running
>     nfsd daemons, and exit code 1.

that should be /etc/init.d/nfsmount start.  /etc/init.d/nfs is for nfs
server.

you can run "portmap" and "rpc.statd" and then just mount your nfs
shares; you don't need to start the service at all.

Additionally make sure the box is not  firewalling access to 'lo',
because it will need said access to use rpc.statd.