On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 13:47:23 +0200
Bo Ørsted Andresen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Monday 24 September 2007 13:36:34 Daniel Iliev wrote:
> > Yes. This setup works here also and I have no breakages, but since
> > I've let the x86 machies use shared portage tree I have the feeling
> > the performance of portage dropped down notably.
> >
> > I don't know what happens at the end of "emerge --sync", what the
> > metadata consists of and if it is the same for each arch and
> > installation. Should I do "emerge --regen" after syncing on each
> > machine or something like that?
>
> If anything you should do emerge --metadata. If transfers the
> metadata/cache to /var/cache/edb. If you never modify eclasses
> in /usr/portage you can alternatively use the metadata_overlay cache
> module...
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/faq.xml

Thanks, Bo!

I removed /var/cache/edb, added "-metadata-transfer" to "FEATURES" and
then put "portdbapi.auxdbmodule = cache.metadata_overlay.database"
in "/etc/portage/modules". After the first "emerge -DuN world -p" which
took about 6min to rebuild the cache now the performance is back to
normal: emerge -DuN world takes about 1min - 1min30sec

--
Best regards,
Daniel