Alexander Skwar schrieb:
> Florian Philipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Alexander Skwar schrieb:

>>> Uhm, what's bad about
>>>
>>>         tar cf - | p7zip ....
>> It's a bit cumbersome to create a pipe each time I access an archive.
>
> Okay. I don't think so.

I don't want to flame but does that mean that you are one of the guys
that always use the menu button when there's a hotkey available?

Yet, I agree with you in that it's not a good excuse for breaking POSIX
compliance, one more thing that can break. A bundle of scripts would be
better to wrap tar and *zip.

>>> What do you mean?
>>>
>> Just that I used regular expressions to search for tar writing to
>> stdout, something that star can't, apparently.
>
> star can write to stdout. "./star -c -f - . > ../s"

Ehhm, yes, it can. Sorry for that mistake. I really meant this behavior:
"Turns out that star can't do "star xzf -", it will say "Can only
compress files." (from Volker's first post).

>> It seems it didn't work.
>
> What is "it"?

Using find, grep and regular expressions to search for a case which
could trigger that misbehavior of star in order to find out whether I
can safely replace tar with star.

>> Not all but some emerge actions failed while using star.
>
> No wonder. Command line options aren't compatible. And hell
> will freeze before Mr. Schilling will change.

I'm a bit puzzled. You wrote gnu tar is not POSIX compliant and now it's
star's fault that it doesn't work without modifying scripts?