Michael Schreckenbauer ha scritto:
> and I for myself drop cdrkit in every place I find it and replace it with the
> imo working tool named cdrecord.

Sure, your choice.

>> The problem is that of a tool that for licence etc. problems could be
>> easily be dropped from a distribution. It's of a relatively unreliable
>> developer (or, better stated, of unrealiable relationships between the
>> dev and the community).
>
> I have no problems at all with Jörg, quite the opposite.

It's not *you* that has to have problems with him. It's distributions.
See below.

>> Given this, I would think twice before
>> substituting tar with a Schilling tool. The cdrecord scar is still painful.
>
> Good programmers often have big egos. See Linus for an example. When will
> distributions drop the kernel, because Linus made bad comments about gnome,
> cups or some other random program?
> The tool (star, cdrecord) works, is well supported and the programmer reacts
> in time to requests. What else do you expect?

The problem with cdrecord (and J.S.) is that in a new version of
cdrecord he bundled CDDL and GPL code together, thinking that it's right
to distribute such an hybrid binary.
Debian and a large number of other distros think instead that you cannot
legally distribute a CDDL+GPL hybrid thing. So, to avoid legal concerns,
they had to remove cdrecord from the distribution and fork the last GPL
(or CDDL?)-only version of cdrecord.

In our case: if you use a tool like that in your scripts and suddenly
the Gentoo devs feel that tool has to be removed/replaced (not the case
of cdrtools in Gentoo apparently, but...), you are in trouble. It's not
matter of who is right/who is wrong (I personally have no serious
opinion on that, because I didn't enter into the issue), but J.S.
refused any attempt to settle down the problem with the Linux
distribution, only putting blame on them and telling them "oh who cares,
f**k you". That's why someone has harsh opinions on him and can't trust
relying on his tools.

OTOH, I agree he's a truly skilled developer.

m.