Hi,

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 15:47:53 +0200 Alan McKinnon
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thursday 04 October 2007, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> > And later on: "Now one problem is
> > left. Even with normal RAM a well funded organisation can get the
> > contents after the system is powered off. With the modern SDRAM it's
> > even worse, where the data stays on the RAM permanently until new
> > data is written.
>
> Pray tell, how does RAM manage to retain data when the power is off?
> It's either six transistors or one transistor and a cap per cell =
> not persistent.

In theory, for the one transistor and one cap case, you have a loaded
cap that will take "forever" losing its load, won't it? But in
practice, I think, that's not realistic.

> I don't know of any magic persistent RAM that's fast enough for use
> as main RAM. Flash disks are of course another story but you do
> appear to be talking about system RAM

There actually are new RAM types being made for solid-state storage.
But this is in a proof-of-concept stage, I think.

Maybe Liviu's professor had those magnetic drum memory units in mind
when saying that?

Anyway, cleaning memory on a power-off shut down doesn't make much
sense. However, it makes sense to clean up memory after having critical
data in it -- e.g. a reboot doesn't necessarily clean up RAM. And I'm
not sure if some mainboards even keep the RAM powered in certain
situations -- at least, they can as long as the power is not really
switched off (e.g. machine only in ATX soft-off mode).

-hwh