On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 12:10 -0300, Rafael Barrera Oro wrote:
> I just installed it so i did not have any useful data. I must admit
> though, i did not stop the database before unmerging and emerging,
> however i did run emerge --config afterwards.

You should have stopped the database before you remove the database
files... Did you ever stop the database?  If not, you're still running
8.0 while your emerge installed 8.2 files and then the database
naturally got confused.  The --config probably tried to connect to the
running 8.0 service and told it do do something with the installed 8.2
files.

It doesn't really matter *what* happened exactly.  The point is you
should just start over.

      * Stop postgres. kill all postgres processes.
      * unmerge postgress
      * remove /var/lib/postgresql
      * re-install posgress