I answer to your last two threads.

> OK, thanks to all who responded -- I had to do mtu_ppp0=1492 and then
> I had to do the iptables rule.  I still wonder why the native package
> worked, but not the plugin?  Go figure.

It seems that the mtu problem only occurs when you use the kernel module
and the ppp package. So this problem hit you when using the plugin from
ppp and not with rp-pppoe. From [2]: Warning: For people transitioning
from the rp-pppoe package, or for people who hit weird connection
resets, see the MTU section in the Troubleshooting chapter.

> > > plugins_ppp0=("rp-pppoe")
> >
> > Are you sure this line is correct?
> Yep, otherwise it would not work at all, so looks like some
> documentation needs to be fixed?

I don't think this is the correct configuration. I recommend you to read
here [1], [2] and the PPP section in net.example. The mtu problem is
explained there too.

Rp-pppoe is depreciated and has been integrated in ppp and I don't think
there is an option like "plugins_ppp0=("rp-pppoe")". But if you use
"plugins_ppp0=("pppoe")" the rp-pppoe plugin of the ppp package is used!

This here is from my logs:

pppd[19849]: Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded.
pppd[19849]: RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.3 compiled against pppd 2.4.4
pppd[19852]: pppd 2.4.4 started by root, uid 0

And my /etc/conf.d/net

config_eth0=("192.168.0.1/24" )

config_eth1=( null )
config_ppp0=( "ppp" )
link_ppp0="eth1"
plugins_ppp0=( "pppoe" )
username_ppp0='ar1435446276'
pppd_ppp0=(
       "noauth"
       "defaultroute"
       "usepeerdns"
       "holdoff 3"
       "child-timeout 60"
       "lcp-echo-interval 15"
       "lcp-echo-failure 3"
       noaccomp noccp nobsdcomp nodeflate nopcomp novj novjccomp
)

depend_ppp0() {
    need net.eth1
}