On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 17:59:05 -0400
Aaron Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It sounds like what you really want to get is a Linksys WRT54GL[1]
> that you can then flash with something like dd-wrt[2] or OpenWRT[3].
>
> Aaron

Sure, you could do that, but then you have less flexibility later.  I
love being able to add network interfaces and such to my router.  I
dont' have to mess with flashing or such, and I can run gentoo on it
and upgrade til my little heart's content.

Most people go for this option, but there's definitely something good
to be said about the flexibility (and power!) of using a home-built
router from a second hand desktop.

I have heard that home-built optimized linux routers are known to be
faster, as well, but I certainly can't validate or invalidate that
opinion.  I do know that I wouldn't trade my neat old router for all
the WRT54GL's in the world.