On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 01:18:35 +0000
Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> And the Gentoo
> manual install is not exactly difficult, it just needs a wilingness to
> read the docs.

A prerequisite that is well deserved.  The question is whether there's
a  place for another option.  The present second option -- the liveCD
install method -- fails to present gentoo accurately, and worse,  it
represents gentoo unfavorably.

Furthermore, as some have already mentioned, there _is_ a problem with
the idea of automating an os install from source: package emerges are
simply too fickle to be trusted to install an entire system from all
the way up to KDE/Gnome.  I present only the one example; I believe

We should redefine our live CD as an installation _media_ that can
evolve independently of an installation system.  We should then
redefine our 'automatic installation' as an 'Official' stage 4 tarball
(perhaps a few options would be in order) that can be unarchived to a
target filesystem to produce a working system in literally minutes.

> If you think I am taking the "installer is an idiot filter" line you
> are very much mistaken.  Gentoo has a purpose, and that purpose is
> different from the likes of Ubuntu or SUSE. That is not to detract
> from any of them, but trying to force one to be like another is doing
> a great disservice to both. If Gentoo is not different, serving a
> different type of user, what is the point of it?

thinking now, I am surprised we don't already release official
stage4s.  It's a good fit with the handbook, portage, and the
philosophy.

On the other hand, perhaps the learning curve is a little too steep for
some.  They might have time to adapt to the altitude, at least, if
there were an easier approach to the Linux mountain.

Niel, you voice my feelings in the matter well.  Do you think we
should require users to perform a stage 3 install to run gentoo on
their systems?  Or might you agree that we might be able to find a
replacement for the hideous graphical install that would actually be a
_good_ thing for gentoo?

Interested to hear yours, and others', thoughts,

                        Dan Farrell.

P.S. This conversation reminds me of the GWN's request for content.  I
don't know exactly how you'd make it a contribution, but it seems like
a big area of discussion in the community.