»Q« wrote:
> Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 13:05:18 +0000, Guanqun Lu wrote:
>>
>>> We can't expect that all the Gentoo users should be a linux geek
>>> first, and then have a try on Gentoo linux sytem.
>> Why not? Gentoo is aimed at more experienced users, Linux novices are
>> already amply catered for by other distros. I would never recommend
>> Gentoo to a new Linux user, in the same way that I wouldn't recommend
>> a Ferrari to a learner driver.
I don't know about some people here, but I don't care if Gentoo is
'popular'.  I didn't care if I was popular in school, and I don't care
about it now.  GNU/Linux isn't 'popular', Micro$oft is.  One of the
greatest strengths of the FOSS movement is choices.  Gentoo offers
people a choice to get their hands dirty, and customize the heck out
of everything they want.  I threw Ubuntu on a laptop so I can test
drive it (I'm suggesting it to family / friends / clients as a windows
replacement) but I can't get luks to work on it currently.  I went to
check /proc/config.gz to see if some stuff was enabled, there wasn't
/proc/config.gz.  It took me 3 minutes to do on my Gentoo box because
I've made every decision on that machine.

> I was a Linux newbie when I installed Gentoo;  it was the first distro
> I installed.  It was recommended to me by a friend who said if I wanted
> to learn a lot as I installed it and set it up, Gentoo was a good
> idea.  I now recommend it to newbies on the same basis.  But it's only
> useful to them in this way /without/ the graphical installer.

Here here!  I came from Red Hat 7.3, and I didn't even know how to
compile a kernel.  My first try at Gentoo was 1.2_rc4 on a laptop that
had weird memory / pcmcia issues.  My buddy suggested it to me because
he thought I'd like it.  I learned *SO* much about GNU/Linux through
that experience and I'm still learning a lot.  The problem with a
graphical installer is you're basically on a buggie ride through the
jungle.  As long as you stay on the beaten path; you feel amazing
because you're seeing all of this stuff in the jungle.  The moment you
jump off the beaten path you're amazingly ill-equipped to be in the
jungle.  Might as well let people know what they're in for rather than
putting on heirs.
>> Anyway, you need to use other distros first to truly appreciate
>> Gentoo :)
>
> Ain't that the truth.

Yep!  With the exception of some people on this list, most people I
know who tried out Gentoo (and don't mind getting their hands dirty)
won't go to anything else.  Yum is ok, apt-get is kinda odd to me, but
emerge makes sense. Also, you're {generally} not maintaining two
systems (the binary one they give you and your source compiled system}.